Saturday, January 7, 2017

The only two initiatives you should take in 2017

If you are hard pressed for time and have time for only two initiatives this year, please consider these two:

1. Set some goals, whatever they are, for 2017
2. Get a mentor

The above is in no particular order. For if you set some BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals), chances are you'd be hard pressed to find a mentor that will help you achieve them (assuming if you are serious about it). And if you just get a good mentor, the first thing your mentor would do is most likely to have you draw-up goals so that he/she can help.

As has been my practice for nearly two decades now, in the December break, I went over my progress in 2016 and set some goals for myself in 2017 (BTW, my official goals set by my boss is here). I've not always achieved all of them, but trust me it has helped me professionally and personally very very significantly. Happy to share privately, atleast the broad outcomes if you are interested, in private. This time I have only 3 broad categories and 1-2 outcomes for each one of them.

Not convinced?

1. Mark Zuckerberg, as his practice each year, just set a 2017 goal for himself (I can bet my entire net worth that he'd set a bunch of other goals that cannot be in pubic domain).
2. Here's list of celebrated Tech executives and their mentors

No comments: