Sunday, August 24, 2008

Planning a trip to Munnar

For the last several years, October, December and April/May are the months to go on a long drive somewhere with my wife and kids. Typically in October we head towards some beach and in summer towards some hill station. December, usually is a low cost vacation visiting relatives in and around Mysore, my home town. This time for a change, we are headed to Munnar.

For some reason, I'm addicted to planning such trips and this addiction is so much that my wife believes that I can have an alternate career as a tour operator. Not a bad idea given how ill informed most of the travel people that I run into. Of course such indifferent tour operators are the primary reason why I started planning all my trips, all by myself. Thanks to internet, a ton of information is available in the form of blogs, travelogues and on the portals of the online communities of travel enthusiasts. All these make the job a lot easier than a trip to your neighborhood tour operator.

This time we chose to go to Munnar, a hill resort in the Idukki district of Kerala. I've been to this place twice during my bachelor days and simply love this place. I'm lot more excited this time, because I'd driving.

Typically, this is the process that works for me in planning my trips. Once the place is decided, I rely primarily on two sources - Outlook Traveller's Getaway Guides and HolidayIQ.com to select a decent place to stay. After identifying an approximate route map using a set of maps (I've all sorts of maps ranging from the India road atlas all the way to the district maps), I browse Team-BHP's travelogues and route information forum. Most information (distance between towns along the way, places to eat, petrol pumps, ATMs, current situation of the road and related tips) is directly available in this huge community of travel enthusiasts. These days, I've also started using MapMyIndia.com, which gives fairly good route map between any two places in India. The next step is to collect adequate information about the place, things to do, things to buy etc., I rely heavily on VirtualTourist.com for this information. Getaway guides also contain very useful information. Armed with all these, I plan out the complete itinerary. Since it is a vacation, we don't very strictly stick to the plan, but believe in the philosophy of "plans doesn't matter, but planning helps". This process has helped me travel peacefully and enjoy every moment of all our, including the one to Singapore and Malaysia.

Now, I've no idea what is so interesting in browsing the few websites mentioned above and going over maps. But it is addictive. Bunch of people in my network simply call me to get my suggestion on where to go, how to go and what to do. Perhaps there is some merit in considering an alternate career as a travel consultant.
Thank you very much,

RamP!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Link Removal Request


Dear Webmaster,

We received a notice from Google stating that they have levied a penalty on our website as they "detected unnatural links" redirecting to our website holidayiq.com.

The only way we can remove this penalty and help Google reconsider putting our website back in their index is by removing these links and we need your help for the same. We request you to consider this request on high priority.

http://facilitatingimpact.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
http://facilitatingimpact.blogspot.com/2008/08/planning-trip-to-munnar_24.html

We would again like to bring your notice that failure to remove these links would require us to file a "Disavow Links" report with Google. Once we submit this report to Google, they may "flag" your site as "spammy" or otherwise if anything is not in compliance with their guidelines. The last thing we want is to have another webmaster go through this grief!

Your cooperation in this process would be deeply appreciated. We kindly request you to send us an acknowledgement of this mail along with a confirmation that these links have been removed.
Thanks a lot for your help.

If you want to reach out to us mail us on pradeep@holidayiq.com
Regards,
Webmaster
holidayiq.com