Thursday, April 13, 2017

Why do you need mentors

I was talking to a very senior and a successful executive recently, trying to understand his leadership philosophy and how it has evolved. In the course of the conversation he introduced me to a tool that help get clarity on priorities and can therefore help us make better decisions. He then casually mentioned it was taught to him by one his mentors. Initially, I was surprised as to why such a successful person should/would have a mentor, but then I quickly realised that part of the reason why he has been successful is because he has mentors. It amazes me that so many folks do not have mentors, even at an informal. 

Ever wondered why do you a need a mentor? Here are few reasons I can think of:

  • For a reassuring pat on the back
  • For an unapologetic slap on the face
  • To explain why your fears are unfounded
  • To tell you why your excuses are BS

(and for everything else you've a friend that tells you exactly what you want to hear, make you happy in the short run and therefore possibly irrelevant in the long run).

No comments: