Sunday, October 9, 2016

25 things strong leaders tell their team members

From Liz Ryan's Forbes article. Managers who have attended MDS can relate to these easily.

Here are 25 things awesome managers say to their teammates all the time. Which of these can you try right away?
1. Thanks for having that incredible idea!
2. You know, you are really good at this. I’m so glad you are working on this project.
3. How can I help you with anything that’s in your way?
4. Let me know if you run into any snags. Your success here is a big priority for me.
5. I don’t know the answer. What’s your opinion?

6. I do have a strong opinion about that, but I want to hear your thoughts. I’m sure they will inform my viewpoint, too.
7. Listen, I trust you to do this project the way you think best. Put together a plan, please, and show it to me. Then we can confirm it and you’ll be off and running.
8. I have a favor to ask you about switching priorities. Is now a good time to talk about that?
9. Thanks again for the amazing effort you put into that assignment.
10. I noticed that you showed Terry how to work the inventory adjustment report, and I appreciate it a lot.

11. What did I say in the staff meeting that set you back? Your face changed and I could see I surprised or upset you. Can you please tell me what it was?
12. I know you were disappointed that we organized the project differently from what you recommended, and I wanted to tell you that I appreciated your suggestions. I can walk you through the reasons I decided to schedule the project differently. I don’t want you to feel that I’m ignoring your views, and I want you to keep sharing your opinions.
13. What can I do to be a stronger manager for you and help you more?
14. I wanted to tell you that I’ve learned a lot from you — so thanks!
15. What are you waiting for from me, that I haven’t gotten back to you on yet?

16. It seems like there may be confusion between your role and Sarah’s, and the intersection between your two job descriptions. Is that a topic we should talk about?
17. How are you holding up? How’s your workload?
18. I wanted to tell you right away that everyone at the Managers Meeting loved your presentation — tremendous job!
19. What do you want to learn in the company that I can help you learn? Who do you want to meet on the executive team? Let me introduce you.
20. I want to support and promote your ideas, and I need your help. Can you lay out your argument on paper so we can walk through it?

21. Listen, you are a very important person on this team. I want to make sure you get the information, support and tools you need. Let me know if I’m not doing that.
22. Do you understand how our company makes money and how the organization works? I want to hear your questions and answer them because the more you know, the more effective you’ll be at your job and the more great ideas you’ll be able to come up with.
23. I heard that you had a tough day yesterday with the rescheduled customer demo. I’m sorry to hear about. Do you want to talk about it?
24. How can I help you reach your goals — your goals in this job and your career goals going forward?
25. Have I told you recently how grateful I am that you work here? Let me tell you again!

No comments: