Monday, March 5, 2012

Itinerant: The trip to Thirthahalli farm

Itinerant: Wikipedia says itinerant is a person who travels from place to place with no fixed home. Luckily, I do have a fixed home and a great family to come back, but some how I tend to like that wor(l)d. I don't know the equivalent kannada word, but feel Alemaari kind of fits in. I've significantly increased traveling short distances from Bangalore in the last 3years. I took into trekking in 2010, marathon running in 2011 and biking this year, which has increased my travels - mostly undertaken over weekends (and occasionally include a Fri/Mon). I always wanted to blog about these trips and today is most auspicious to start.

A close friend had purchased a piece of plantation near Tirthahalli in Shimoga. Few days ago, he called me and asked me whether I'm game for a quick dash to his farm, now that he managed to get "bhatru" who not only manages the place, but also can cook some good traditional food of Malnad. I said OK, without wasting a second (my wife has long back given up on me and knows I'll always manage to go on my visits - hell or high sea, and has been happy to support me albeit with a note "would you ever listen to me").

We were supposed to get off in a village on the Shimoga-Tirthahalli Road, some 10kms before Tirthahalli. After 2-3 attempts at wrong places and much to the annoyance of the driver, the Rajahamsa dropped us around 5:30AM. Pitch dark, deadly silence barring some chirpy early birds and some stray dogs greeted us. Cheetah sighting is quite common in that region and it was a tense 15min trek to the farm house. "Bhatru" was fast asleep, there was no power for the calling bell and we decided to hang around for some more time.

It was very misty, even at around 6:30AM.



And it slowly happened. As Sun rose, the 80year old house stood if front of us majestically as if a veil has been removed.






 We managed to woke-up "Bhatru" and got a great morning coffee. After morning rituals, my friend took me around and I instantly fell in love (I have a habit of falling in love at first sight frequently!) and this majestic lake/pond (katte in local lingo). It was time for meditation.





Back in home for the breakfast and we went about exploring the plantations. Got an opportunity to talk to local farmers about their expertise, stuff they grow, their problems and concerns.




After having a simple, yet traditional lunch we retired for an afternoon nap, only to be woken-up by screaming of the dogs which had spotted a snake. Unfortunately, by the time I got up, understand what was going on, the snake had disappeared. The region houses tons of King Cobras, possibly I missed sighting one (its a terrific experience seeing snakes in their natural habitat).

It was now time to visit the river Tungabhadra, which flows quietly nearby.



Back home, some general discussion: Sachin Tendulkar, Yedyurappa, Start-ups vs MNCs, Product companies vs Services companies etc., "Dinner ready" said Bhatru. In a while the same Rajahamsa that dropped us, came back to pick us up. A lovely day went just in seconds.

No comments: