Saturday, December 13, 2008

Reading list for Nov'08

Realized that I had not posted my reading list for Nov'08, when I decided to post the same for the month of Dec'08. Here it is, before it is too late:

Business Stripped Bare: Adventures of a Global Entrepreneur
Sir Richard Branson is one of my heroes. I'm always fascinated by this man's vision, guts and charisma. In this book he openly discusses his principles, successes and failures. One feels so highly energised when you read the stories on how he took on the biggest companies (be it British Airways or Coca-Cola), how Virgin Mobile USA was made one of the fastest growing company in the US (I can related to Virgin Mobule USA (VMU) as I happen to work on a few cool phones, some of them for VMU, while I worked for Kyocera) and the audacious Virgin Galactic that would start space travel. If you are budding entrepreneur or aspiring to be one, you can also learn about the process at Virgin to fund select companies.

Mindset: The new psychology of success
Ever since my other hero, Guy Kawasaki, wrote about this book by Carlos Dweck, I wanted to read this book. Finally got a chance this month. The main message is contained in this paragraph
Those who believe they were born with all the smarts and gifts they’re ever going to have approach life with what she calls a “fixed mind-set.” Those who believe that their own abilities can expand over time, however, live with a “growth mind-set.” You may also want to read this article If you are open to growth, you tend to grow, which summarizes the work of the author.

No comments: