Friday, August 9, 2019

No Hurry/No Pause

I first heard this phrase in one of Tim Ferris's blog post Testing the Impossible: 17 Questions That Changed my Life. One area of my life that I'm working hard is to do things in an "unhurried" way. I'm generally either rushing or generally lazing out wasting life. "No Hurry/No Pause" attracted me because I see an approach to life beautifully articulated in these words - No Hurry/No Pause.

I went read the source of the same as Tim mentioned, the Nine Principles of Harmony - a form of Bodywork. This concept is also touched upon nicely by Eknath Easwaran in his book Take Your Time.

Some of the things I've been doing to live "unhurriedly" are:

  • Try not to pack the schedule with a ton of things. This is especially true while on vacation!
  • Create more "systems" and achieve goals through the set systems as opposed to setting goals which'd lead to stress
  • Identify situations where I tend to rush and become conscious (like taking too much time while reading newspapers in the morning, rushes me to office for example)
  • Being more kinder to folks around and gracefully adopt to them 
  • Not wasting time on junk-stuff which makes me rush to other important things.
Equally important is to not allow time to drift and not do anything and waste life. One thing that helps is having a clear idea on what needs to be accomplished in the year, month and week. 

My frequent travel is another thing that throws my routine out of gear. The fatigue, jet lag and indifferent food makes it very difficult to keep semblance of balance.

Would love to hear your thoughts and routines developed to lead an unhurried life.

No comments: