Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Feel the Fear ..... and Do it Anyway


Some fifteen years ago, my then boss (and who incidentally was also my mentor before getting into reporting relationship) asked me to read the book with the same title. This was when I was developing cold feet over an activity that was so vital for my growth. He tried persuading, motivating, reasoning and even issued a threat to make me take up the activity. Though I was clearly able to see why the activity so vital for my growth, my "fear of failure" was so high that I simply was not budging even when it came as an order from the boss. A kind soul he has been, he took to something that he knew I'll never refuse - read a book. 

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway was the book he asked me to read. I not only read the book but happily implemented some of the suggested stuff. Ofcourse I did complete the activity that I was not willing to try, with flying colors and have done it so many times later without batting an eye-lid. To say that changed my career trajectory is an understatement (hope you recognise the power of constructive feedback and a great people's manager in play). 

The book is based on the following five observations:
  • My fear will never go away as long as I continue to grow.
  • The only way to get rid of my fear of doing something is to go out and do it.
  • The only way to feel better about myself is to go out… and do it.
  • Not only am I going to experience fear whenever I’m on unfamiliar territory, but so is everyone else.
  • Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness.

The above "truths" are very assuring in that it gives comfort in knowing we are not alone in such a struggle and it is a natural phenomenon when you are growing and there actually is a way to overcome it. 


A detailed description by chapter is here

No comments: