Friday, January 12, 2018

Food for thought for the Weekend: (13-Jan-2018): On discipline, mentors, mediocrity

Food for thought for the Weekend: My series where I present assorted collection of interesting blog posts, TED talks, podcast and articles I read/listened this week, some quotes that resonated with me, excerpts from my own reading.

  • I had written about a book called Tribes of Mentors and how the author has spoken to 100+ successful people and distilled their advice. Someone read the entire book and has created this summary.
  • Ever wondered why many people get stuck in mediocrity and/or why sometimes we ourselves get stuck there? This article talks about the reasons for it and what to do get unstuck.
  • 3 ways to attract the mentor you truly want - My regular readers know the importance that I put on mentors. There is a lot of misconceptions about the type of mentor one needs, our expectations etc., This article sheds some light on how to go about finding a great mentor.
  • Prof. Cal Newport, author of one of my favourite books Deep Work, introduces us to Jocko Willink a former Navy SEAL and talks about the Power of Discipline. As someone in need of more discipline, I immediately ordered his new book Discipline Equals Freedom. Rocko says:
 If you want freedom, then you need to have discipline…the more discipline you have in your life the more you’ll be able to do what you want. That’s not true initially; initially the discipline might be things you don’t want to do at the time, but the more you do things that you don’t want to do, the more you do the right things, the better off you’ll be and the more freedom you’ll have…”

No comments: