Saturday, August 20, 2016

Not my job



It is so painful when I come across people that say its "not my job" - a sure way to not get ahead in any organization. Well, there are job descriptions, existing work load which is seemingly takes away all the work hours, too much pressure already to deliver and you don't want to get distracted etc., Still, sending out a message "its not my job" is bound to deplete your good will. If you catch yourself wanting to say so, pause a moment and explore options:
  • if your plate is already full, let your manager know about it and ask how you should prioritize,
  • if a job is given on something that you are not competent on, ask for help.
  • immediately offer to work on things that you can surely do, but seek help on things you do not know

There always are options. Telling "not my job" is usually a sign of disengagement.

No comments: