Saturday, June 11, 2016

Do you believe in being lucky?

I do. But I never thought about it. But recently I found some interesting things behind this thought. Apparently, “When people view themselves as lucky, they are more likely to choose and persist at challenging tasks,” explains Young, a prof at UCLA. 

That persistence can have a self-reinforcing effect. The more challenging tasks people take on, the more chance there is they will succeed at some of them, giving them a sense that they are indeed lucky. A generally positive attitude towards life also makes it seem like more happy events occur for a person, says Vyse, a Psychologist. When someone has a sense that things are going their way in general, it makes for better interactions with other people. Those improved relationships can lead to more opportunities down the line.

This reminded me of an interesting book I had read by former England Cricketer and now an accomplished columnist titled "Luck: What it Means and Why it Matters" he argues, with numerous examples from sports, religion and business, that the luck cannot be underestimated.

Luck is a slippery subject and it is hard to prove or disprove anything. But if it helps me to persist a little more, I've no qualms in believing that I'm lucky.

No comments: