Friday, February 17, 2012

The Joy of Mentoring

A long time friend/ex-reportee/mentee/ called me a while ago to share the news of his promotion into a very high post. Apparently I was the second person he called after sharing the news with his wife. He had thanked me for playing a role in his growth. Moments like this are to be cherished for life. It gives great satisfaction that someone you helped (definitely along with many other folks), has reached their potential. Many people ask me why I'm happy to spend/invest/waste (depending on who you talk) my time with mentees and the answer is just simple "there is a great joy in helping someone reach their potential". I'm sure most mentors would agree with this. Infact one of my mentor keeps an eye on how I'm mentoring my mentees and pushes me to expand my circle of influence. Other advantage of being in a mentor-mentee relationship is that you can build a great number of trusted relationships for life.

I'm particularly blessed with having a great set of mentors and mentees. I get to learn from both. I also notice that not many people seem to have mentors and I can tell that they are missing a lot.

Do you have mentors? Do you mentor someone? If not, why not?

RamP!

1 comment:

Vinay Dabholkar said...

Thanks for sharing this, RamP. Knowing you, I am sure there will be many more moments in future of this kind.

During my Tech Reach program for technical leaders, there is a module on mentoring. I am expecting at least some of them to ask, "Where do I begin?" Any tips on this will be helpful.