Monday, February 2, 2009

Reading List for Feb'09

Messiah's Handbook: Reminders for the Advanced Soul - Richard Bach
I'm a big fan of Richard Bach (who could forget Jonathan Livingston Seagull). I had read his other master piece Illusions. In this book the reluctant messiah Donald Shimoda used to carry with him a handbook titled Messiah's handbook ("whatever you need to know is there") and this book is now made available. I love Richard Bach's books as the essential message is one of the free spirit, asking us to follow our dreams without compromise or apology. This book is no exception.



The 4-hour work week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere and join the New Rich - Timothy Ferris
Who wouldn't want a 4-hour work week. I heard quite a bit of buzz on this book and also happened to listen to Timothy's interview with Leo of ZenHabits. When I glanced this book I felt that a few things were not doable, atleast by me and also saw a few useful things. Even if it helps to save 4 hours a week, I'd be glad.





The Black Swan: The Impact of Highly Improbable - Nicholas Taleb
I came to know about it when Tom Peters posted, perhaps his shortest blog post that read "Read It, Damn It". TP rates this book very highly and keep refering to the same every now and then. So, I thought I better read this. Nassim argues that most of the really big events in our world are rare and unpredictable, and thus trying to extract generalizable stories to explain them may be emotionally satisfying, but it's practically useless. A short summary on the book by my friend Vinay Dabholkar here and his analysis of Apollo explosion with Black Swan theory here.


Small Giants: Companies that Chose to be Great instead of Big - Bo Burlingham
This book too is a must read per Tom Peters and praised regularly in his blog. It makes more sense now to read this, as I've joined a start-up and hope to do something remarkable.

No comments: